Christ the Redeemer Roman Catholic Parish of Swift Current

1850 Springs Gate (West of the Hospital)

Text Size
    • WB Alleluia He is Risen
  • WB Gift Of His Son
  • WB Alive In Christ

The first Catholic residents of Swift Current settled here in 1882 and our Catholic community was established in 1884. Father Eugene Cabanel, fourth pastor to arrive in Swift Current celebrated mass at the Magic Theatre. on First Ave. E. until our first church was built in 1912, and it was named Sacred Heart of Jesus. As our Catholic community grew, with Father Lionel Mondor as pastor, a larger church was built in 1955 at 41 2nd Ave. N.E. When St. Patrick’s school was constructed at 800 1st Ave. N.W. land was purchased nearby for a church site. It became apparent that another Catholic church was necessary and St. Michael The Archangel Parish was established December 1965 with Father Lawrence Folk as pastor. Due to the shortage of clergy, in 2001 St. Michael’s church was sold and our entire Catholic community gathered at Sacred Heart and worshipped until we relocated on July 5th, 2009 to our current facility at 1850 Springs Gate.